Monday, September 24, 2012

Race Week

Saturday morning I'm running my second 10K ever, the Combat Air Museum Winged Foot Run. My Mom is participating in the 5K walk (Go, Mom!), then we're going to hang out in Topeka for the day. I mentioned in my last post that my first 10K time was 1:07:01. My goal for this one is under an hour. I received an email from the race director a couple weeks ago that said about 30 people had registered, so this is going to be a small race. (Medal??!) Usually I start in the middle back of the pack, but I think I'm going to start up with the faster runners on Saturday. I want to really push myself and see what I can do. I want to really race!

The only distances I have raced are 5K & 10Ks. The week of a race I'll hit it hard Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and not do anything physical on Thursday and Friday. I give my body two days to relax and recover and by the third day (race day) all I want to do is run. This morning I did the Spartacus Workout from my Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. Tomorrow morning I'm going to group run--no idea how far or how fast that will be. Then Wednesday will depend on how I'm feeling from Tuesday's run. If I don't feel like running I'll ride my bike and do some strength training.

It was my Mom's idea to do this race. Back in June, my Mom, my sister, and I participated in Jazz in the Park in Topeka--my Mom walked and my sister and I ran. At Jazz in the Park there were brochures for Combat Air Museum. My Mom grabbed a few, stuck one in my race packet, told me she wanted to do it and asked if I would do it with her. I couldn't say "No" to that! I love my Mom.

Cavegirl Runner

2 comments:

  1. Good luck in your second 10K! You will rock it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty psyched. And thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete