Thursday, November 8, 2012

I'm not a "Before and After"

In Spring 2011 I started running full time again. I bought my first pair of Brooks, found a beginner running program I liked, signed up for a race and did it! Prior to that year I had tried and failed to get back into running multiple times. That year I put a lot of thought into why I was not liking something I used to love. I realized I always approached it like I was 14 years old again. 23 is not old, but when you've been fairly sedentary for 5 years, going out and running 2 miles like it's nothing is not easy! I knew that if I wanted this to last I would have to start slow. No matter how agonizing. I ran 2 or 3 races in 2011 and even made a new running friend. But then October rolled around and my work schedule got hectic. I decided trying to fit runs into my schedule was too stressful and quit for the fall and winter.

Around the time I quit running was also the time that I began to seriously consider a Paleo/Primal lifestyle. I did a lot of research and reading. Finally I decided to give it a "try." At first I was just intrigued. I didn't think it would make much difference in my life. I wasn't overweight, didn't have any life altering illness to speak of and I thought I felt fine. Well, it's been a year since my "try."

The title of this post is "I'm not a 'Before' and 'After'." And this is true; outwardly I am not. But on the inside, how I feel, what I can do...all I can say is, what a difference a year can make! When I stopped running Fall 2011, I could barely go 4 miles. This year I have done countless 5Ks, two 10Ks, and I'm going to start half marathon training next month! I sleep better, have more energy, and experience very few weird blood sugar stuff that I used to worry about. I'm still getting used to the fact that I can do all these things I didn't think I was capable of. For example, racing a sub-25 minute 5K. A year ago, um, impossible.

So no, I don't consider myself an outwardly inspirational "Before and After." But!!! I have a really good friend who is! She is an amazing woman whose transformation is just incredible. I asked her to share her story and I'm so happy to tell you that she agreed! So my first guest post should be coming up soon. I'm very excited to provide her with the opportunity to share her inspiring story!

Cavegirl Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment