Thursday, October 25, 2012

Make a Plan

Two weeks ago I discussed setting goals. I said it should encompass something important to you and be specific. Today I'd like to explain how to reach those goals: Make A Plan!

Some people can run and workout just by whatever they feel like doing that particular day. And that totally works for them! I do not operate this way. I've tried. I failed. I like structure and organization and lists. Also, when I have everything wrote down, it's more tangible to me.

Here are some great resources for beginners:
Runner's World - I love this magazine, I have a subscription, and I could spend all day reading their training articles. They also have this really cool thing called SmartCoach. It's free, you put in all your info, and it gives you a training schedule. Easy as that!
Active.com - This site lists a lot of races and has a lot of good articles on running, swimming, cycling, and triathlons.
Cool Running - Again lots of good articles. They even include the Couch-to-5K (C25K) Running Plan for free!

I have recently been talked into running a couple half marathons next year. This will push back my triathlon plans, but I'm OK with that. Since I have never ran a half marathon before, you better believe I will be using a half marathon training plan. The first one is Rock the Parkway on April 13, and the other is Joplin Memorial Run on May 18. Yes, I realize they are only 5 weeks apart. Yes, I realize that is not advised. Yes, I still want to do it. Considering what lead to talking me into these races was the prospect of participating in the Heartland 39.3 Series, it will be fine. Seriously, go to the Heartland 39.3 Series link...I was considering it!

A couple Sundays ago, my husband fell asleep on the couch, and I had the opportunity to plan out my running and workout schedule in peace. I keep a training log and write down what I want to do in pencil. I like to use pencil because plans frequently change, and pencil erases. The running plan I came up with luckily works perfectly with getting ready to train for the half. I love it when things work out.

Speaking of plans changing...sometimes a perfect plan doesn't work out so perfectly. Sometimes you really need to rest instead of busting out a speed workout or strength training. Next week I'll talk about how to Listen to Your Body.


Cavegirl Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment